Special Deals
INSTANT QUERY
Please Contact Us

Search city by alphabet
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Destinations:


Diu Travel Guide:

Introduction
Diu is a city in Diu district in the union territory of Daman and Diu, India. It was the location of the pivotal Battle of Diu in 1509 between Portugal and a combined force of Turkey, Egypt, Venice, the Republic of Ragusa (now known as Dubrovnik) and the then Sultan of Gujarat, Mahmud Begada.
Diu District is an island lying off the south coast of Gujarat's Kathiawar peninsula, separated from the mainland by a tidal creek. It has an area of 40 km², and a population of 44,110 (2001 census). The town of Diu lies at the eastern end of the island, and is known for its fortress and old Portuguese Cathedral. It is also a fishing town. The village of Ghoghla, which lies on the mainland opposite the eastern end of the island, is also part of the union territory.
Diu is listed by the name Dangarvadi on Google Maps.

History
In 1535 Bahadur Shah, the Sultan of Gujarat, concluded a defensive alliance with the Portuguese against the Mughal emperor Humayun, and allowed the Portuguese to construct the Diu Fort and maintain a garrison on the island. The alliance quickly unraveled, and attempts by the Sultans to oust the Portuguese from Diu between 1537 and 1546 failed. The Siege of Diu by the Ottoman Empire in 1538 was unsuccessful to repel the Portuguese. The fortress, completed by Dom João de Castro after the siege of 1545, still stands. The island was occupied by the Indian military on 19 December 1961.

Geography
Diu is located at 20°43'N 70°59'E? / ?20.71°N 70.98°E? / 20.71; 70.98.[1] The island is at sea level and covers an area of 38.8 km². The climate is cool and dry, with an average annual rainfall of 700 mm.

General Information
Old Diu is known for its Portuguese architecture. Diu Fort was built in 1535 and maintained an active garrison until 1960.[2] There are three Portuguese Baroque churches, with St. Paul’s Church, completed in 1610, being the only one still in use for its original purpose. The Church of St. Francis of Assisi, the first church built in Diu, in 1593, is now used as a hospital. St. Thomas Church is currently used as a museum. With no tall buildings except the fort, Diu has a characteristically low skyline. A very ancient Lord Shiva's Temple is located on the "Gangeswar" coast.
The languages spoken in Diu include Gujarati, English, Hindi, and Portuguese.
Local transport is available from Una (Gujarat). Jet Airways services the island from the mainland, landing at Diu Airport. The nearby Nagoa beach and offshore lighthouse are popular tourist destinations, and the coast is a popular recreational area for parasailing, boating, and jet skiing. Seasonally, the most suitable clothing is cottons in summer, and light woolens in winter.
Many people confuse Diu with Daman. Although people refer to them together, they are different places

Demographics
As of 2001[update] India census,[3] Diu had a population of 21,576. Males constitute 46% of the population and females 54%. Diu has an average literacy rate of 71%, higher than the national average of 63.3% male literacy is 81% and, female literacy is 69%. In Diu, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.